Subscribe to


Ontario's Union for fairness, equality and respect at work.

คาสิโนลาว เชียงแสน_คาสิโนออนไลน์ แจกเครดิตฟรี _พนันออนไลน์ ฟรี

As a union member, you benefit from expert representation that protects your rights and advocates on your behalf if you are injured or become ill as a result of your job.

If you are injured or become ill as a result of your job, your illness or injury MUST be reported to the Workers’ Safety and Insurance Board (WSIB). You are entitled to WSIB benefits if you cannot work and lose earnings because of your illness and injury. 


  • Maintain your own file of all documents relating to your claim. This includes doctor’s notes, copies of forms and any correspondence from the WSIB, the employer or any other involved parties.

  • Remember: WSIB claims must be filed within six (6) months of the initial incident. Claims filed after six months may only be accepted in exceptional cases.

  • You have the legal right to report any workplace accident or injury and cannot be told by anyone that you cannot file a claim.

WSIB Questions Answered


How Do I make a WSIB Claim?

  1. Report the accident or occupational disease to your employer. This generally means notifying the supervisor, manager and/or health and safety representative.  All incidents have to be reported.  A delay in reporting may mean a denial of your claim.

  2. Complete an Employer Incident Report. Ask for a copy. Tell your union steward. List any witnesses.

  3. Have the employer complete a Form 7 (Employer’s Report of Injury/Disease).

  4. Ensure you receive a copy of Form 7.  Your employer is obligated to provide you with a copy.

  5. Inform a coworker or witness.

  6. Seek medical attention as soon as possible. Advise the treating health care practitioner that you are being seen for a work-related injury and explain the job duties performed. It is preferable that you see your family doctor since he/she retains your past health record and may better access the injury. However if you cannot see your family doctor immediately or you don’t have a family doctor, you must go to a walk-in clinic or emergency room. A follow-up with your family doctor is necessary.

  7. Have the health care practitioner complete a Form 8 (“Health Care Practitioner’s Report) and send to WSIB.

  8. If you didn’t get the chance to let your employer know right away about your accident, injury illness or onset of pain, make sure to do it after seeking medical treatment. Remember: your employer and supervisor don’t get to decide whether your accident, injury, illness or onset of pain is work-related or not.

  9. WSIB will send you a Form 6 (Worker’s Report of Injury/Disease”). Complete the form with as much details about the accident as you can provide and send it back to WSIB right away. Provide a copy to your employer and make a copy for yourself.

  10. If you do not receive a Form 6, phone WSIB toll-free at 1-800-387-0750 and ask them to send you one. Alternatively, you can download the form here. You should also contact WSIB and ask to be sent a Form 6 if you think that your employer has not reported your accident.

  11. After you have submitted the correct forms, you should get a letter from WSIB giving you a claim number. This does not mean that your claim has been accepted.It only means the WSIB knows about your claim and has opened a file on it. Use this number every time you contact WSIB about your claim.

  12. If you do not receive a claim number, it may mean that the WSIB does not know about your claim, in this event, you should contact WSIB immediately to find out if there is a problem with your claim.

  13. If your benefits are delayed, it could mean that the WSIB has not received all the information it needs to make its decision (e.g. the doctor’s or the employer’s report); it could mean that the WSIB is investigating your claim and that a decision will be made later. If you do not received a letter of explanation, call WSIB to find out the reason.

  14. If your claim is denied, you should get a letter with reasons why WSIB has decided not to grant you any benefits. You usually have six (6) monthsfrom the date of the decision to notify WSIB in writing that you which to appeal such a decision. The process is explained in the decision letter. Please ensure you note the deadline indicated in the letter as the time limit may vary.

  15. In cases where you and your employer are planning for your return to suitable work, functional abilities information will be required. The Functional Abilities Form for Early and Safe Return to Work (FAF) is a tool that provides information about your physical condition and your ability to work. A request for the form should only be initiated by you or your employer and, ideally, should only be completed when you are functionally able to return to work.

  16. Your treating health professional will complete the form. This could include a doctor, physiotherapist, or other licensed health care professional. The information gathered highlights what a worker can do after a workplace injury or illness. The form allows the health professional to identify your ability to walk, stand, sit, lift, and perform other work-related tasks. You and your employer can then use this information to plan return to work by identifying jobs that you are capable of performing within the limits set out in the FAF.

  17. Note that “Responsibilities of the Workplace Parties in Work Reintegration (WSIB Policy 19-02-02)” states that “The workplace parties (workers and employers) are required to co-operate in the work reintegration (WR) process”.

  18. In those cases where education and support have been provided to the workplace parties, but either or both of them refuses to co-operate, the WSIB may - reduce or suspend the worker's benefits, and/or - levy a penalty on the employer that is equivalent to the costs of providing benefits to the worker.

What if you have a health problem caused by job but did not have an actual accident at work?

When the worker did not have an actual accident at work but an injury emerged gradually, it is a gradual onset disablement. Repetitive Strain Injuries typically fall into this category (e.g., Carpel Tunnel Syndrome, Golfer/Tennis Elbow, Tendinitis, Rotator Cuff/Overhead Work). It is still considered a work injury even the worker did not experience an accident in the traditional sense.

While filing a gradual onset disablement claim, the date of injury is established using the date of first medical attention which led to the diagnosis, or the date of diagnosis, whichever is earlier.